Service Center and Steel and Metal Products Specialist
Before joining Metal Strategies, Gary served for 30 years as Purchasing Manager and Purchasing Director of Ryerson Inc., the second largest steel and metals service center in North America
In his Purchasing Director at Ryerson, Gary led the following, among many other functions:
- Develop and direct sourcing strategies for Ryerson’s annual buy exceeding 2 million tons.
- Served as Chief Ryerson negotiator for all National Supply Agreements representing nearly 1 million tons
- Negotiated and implemented Strategic Sourcing Agreements with key domestic and international suppliers creating unique competitive advantage for Ryerson.
- Managed supplier relationships and serve as principal interface between company and supply base including the top North American and international steel, aluminum and other metals suppliers.
- Assisted Marketing Department in developing contractual relationships among customer, supplier and company.
- Coordinated Ryerson Offshore Purchase Strategy including representing over a quarter of a million tons including identification and qualification of international supply sources, as well as negotiating MOU’s with international producers and trading companies.
- Managed Supplier Review Process and developed improved inventory management practices and procedures, targets and strategies, developed Supplier Performance Review Program and implemented semi-annual review process, evaluated purchasing personnel and developed individualized developmental programs.
- Designed and conducted Product Training for commercial and operations personnel and directed initiatives to assist distributors in executing new product strategies for their organizations.
- Conducted inventory valuations at metal producers, distributors and end-users to provide financial institutions with current and liquidation values and conducted in-depth audits of procurement and inventory management procedures and practices and provided recommendations for improvement.
Gary holds a BS from Loyola University – Chicago, and a Master, Illinois 1969
MM Northwestern University – Evanston, Illinois 1983
Participated in Executive Masters Program. Graduated with Honors – Beta Gamma Sigma