Labor Consulting Specialist
Before joining Metal Strategies in 2011 as Labor Consulting Specialist, Mr. Boehler led HR and Labor Relations for ArcelorMittal USA and integrated steel mill predecessor company Inland Steel, and has over 40 years of steel industry experience primarily in the labor relations area dealing with the USW including 23 years at the corporate level. A selection of his responsibilities, highlights and experience include the following:
- Chief Spokesman in Basic Steel Negotiations (set industry pattern in 1993 round)
- Responsibility for planning negotiations strategy, obtaining management buy-in, leading the negotiations committees, and implementing the resultant agreements.
- Developed and maintained excellent working relationships with the USW International staff at the Pittsburg and District levels.
- Negotiated improved productivity agreements for Long Products and Plate operations.
- Planned and led negotiations for the I/NTek (Inland /Nippon Steel – now Arcelor Mittal Indiana Harbor East) JV (Saturn-LSE type modern agreement)
- Key member of due diligence team regarding Sidor, LTV, ISG potential acquisitions
- Negotiated the adaptation of the ISG labor agreement to the Ispat Inland agreement in 2004-5.
- Led the implementation process of the ISG work design model at former Inland operation.
- Participated in ArcelorMittal global knowledge sharing meetings regarding improvements in labor productivity, with Labor Relations counterparts from thirty countries where AM operates.
- Extensive experience with changing the relationship between labor and management,(communications of business results, behaviour traing, problem solving teams, win/win interest bargaining training) Generally using consultants for specific content.
- Led benefits team in negotiations with USW of innovative changes to control pension and healthcare costs. (Veba, PPOs, Retiree Caps DB multiplier plans)